Sunday, November 16, 2014

Proposal

For the expansion essay I will be using mini essay four which I used an article by Deborah Blum, The Gender Blur: Where Does Biology End and Society Take Over? to state that gender identity is based on biology while gender based behavior is based one biology and social norms. I chose this essay because I thought it would be the easiest essay to expand on, because of all the research and controversial opinion. In my expansion essay I will be focusing on transgender issues with the use of movies such as Boys Don't Cry and a lifetime movie titled A Girl Like Me based on a true story about a boy that turned into a girl and was murdered by four young men. I will also focus on research like Dr. Money's theory, where he advised a family to raise a son that undergone a circumcision gone wrong as a girl. 
 
Key terms I will be using in my research include:
  • Dr. Money
  •  gender dysphoria
  •  transgender teens
  •  sexual conditioning
  • Gender based behaviors
  • Boys Don't Cry
  • A Girl Like Me


2 comments:

  1. I think this is an excellent topic to expand on due to how realistic it is in society. Some other key terms you might also want to try might be; gender identity, third gender, transphobia/social stigma. Another movie you might want to look at would be Transmerica (2005).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a great start. Lauren's suggestion is a really good one. There is also a new "tv" series streaming on Amazon Prime: Transparent. I am really looking forward to this paper.

    ReplyDelete